The New York Mets placed Jorge Polanco on the 10-day injured list with a left ankle bursitis ahead of Wednesday’s series finale against the San Diego Padres at Citi Field. The veteran infielder dealt with the same injury earlier this season, but interim manager Andy Green said it requires surgery this time around.
“He’s battled all year, this left ankle bursitis that he’s had. Something he didn’t deal with prior to this season,” Green said. “It’s gotten to a point where he can’t get freedom from the pain. He has gone out there and grinded and tired. He’s wanted to post for this team, but it’s at a point where surgery is actually his best option and that’s the direction we’re headed with to kind of alleviate this.”
Jorge Polanco Injury
When slugger Pete Alonso departed from the Mets during the offseason, the team signed Polanco to be his replacement. Initially the plan was to have Polanco take over Alonso’s role as the starting first baseman and occasional designated hitter.
However, that never materialized due to a persistent ankle injury affecting Jorge Polanco. At the start of his first year in Queens, he was sidelined from April 14 through July 7. During this period, he went on rehabilitation assignments to eventually return.
Upon rejoining the Mets, Polanco still dealt with the same issue and was used as their designated hitter. His production regressed as a result with him recording 20 hits, six RBI and two home runs in 37 appearances. In comparison, he had 125 hits, 78 RBI and 26 home runs with the Seattle Mariners in 2025.
“He’s felt the burden of producing for the team, for the city and fans. I know that has been heavy on him at times,” Green added. “My observation from seeing him through the years and watching him hit, watching him produce, I do think it has affected him mechanically, like the ability to load into the back foot in the way that he typically does.”
New Approach
With Jorge Polanco sidelined for the majority of this season, the Mets have the expectation of him being able to work through his initial progressions by the time spring training begins in 2027. By that time, he will enter the final year of a two-year contract that he signed during the offseason.
For now, the team promoted infielder Eric Wagaman from Triple-A Syracuse to replace Polanco. In 23 appearances this season, Wagaman recorded eight hits, four RBI and two home runs.
More New York Mets Articles
More MLB Articles
Main Photo:
Embed from Getty Images
- Category
-
New York Mets




